James Franco Digitally Erased from ‘Vanity Fair Cover’ After Sexual Misconduct Claims
‘Vanity Fair’ debuted its Hollywood Portfolio this week with a headline on their website that reads, “12 Extraordinary Stars, One Momentous Year.” There was meant to be another star on the cover spread, but he did not make the final cut.
James Franco sat for a photo shoot and interview and was to be featured in the magazine’s Annie Leibovitz-shot portfolio. He was removed from the cover digitally, following allegations of sexual misconduct made against him.
“We made a decision not to include James Franco on the Hollywood cover once we learned of the misconduct allegations against him,”a Vanity Fair spokesperson said.
The actor, who won a Golden Globe Best Actor – Motion Picture Musical or Comedy for depicting Tommy Wiseau in ‘The Disaster Artist’, faces sexual misconduct accusations by five women.
One of those women, actress Violet Paley, took to social media to publicly condemn Franco for being a hypocrite after he wore a “Time’s Up” pin to the Golden Globe Awards on Jan. 7.
“Cute #TIMESUP pin James Franco,” she said. “Remember the time you pushed my head down in a car towards your exposed penis and that other time you told my friend to come to your hotel when she was 17? After you had already been caught doing that to a different 17 year old?”
The actor has denied the claims. During a recent appearance on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, he said, “I pride myself on taking responsibility for things that I’ve done. I have to do that to maintain my well-being. I do it whenever I know that there is something wrong or needs to be changed. I make it a point to do it. The things that I heard that were on Twitter are not accurate, but I completely support people coming out and being able to have a voice because they didn’t have a voice for so long. So I don’t want to shut them down in any way. It’s, I think, a good thing, and I support it.”